Tuesday, June 12, 2012

To Snack or Not to Snack......

I have a hard time with the night time blood sugars, always have, call it fear from dropping low, or simply being unable to saw logs on an empty stomach, whatever the case this is come around once again in my life in my children's diabetes management.

I am comfortable bolusing or taking a shot of rapid for a snack, pretty much figured it out, if it is greater then 20 grams of carb, I bolus, if it's one hour before bed I take 50% of my ratio, if I've been active I likely won't bolus at all, and if I do it's 75% less then what I'd normally take, so lets just say I've figured it out.  My two dia-kids on the other hand, NOT THERE YET!

My 7 year old insulin user, sounds like I am making her out to be an addict, nothing could be farther from the truth, but she is definitely a user of insulin.  Snacking is,  lets just say, a little riskier.  But in our house full of people,  snacking is the routine. Like popcorn on movie night, ice cream when its hot, anything a non-d kid would eat, our d-kids eat too. The tricky part happens with warm weather, increased and/or unpredictable activity, late nights, and other life events that don't fit into the diabetic routine. These things usually lead to variable carb intake and a Vegas approach to calculating  an accurate carb to insulin dose. Sometimes we win and a lot of times lately, we lose, and when I say lose, it is usually sleep. We end up staying up until after the majority of the rapid insulin is done its job, and this as you are well aware takes a few hours.

This sucks, but we do it because that's what d-parents do, they watch over there lil ones thinking like a pancreas, checking levels, only able to sleep when they are certain their kiddo is safe for the remainder of the night.

It is still my biggest D-Fear for me to not test, or miss that low or high and do harm to our baby.

My heart goes out to all the parents out there who share this experience.

Trev

1 comment:

Mike Hoskins said...

Thanks for writing this, Trev. I can't imagine what it's like being a pancreas not only for yourself, but for the little ones... bravo to you, my friend.