Friday, August 26, 2011

High Intensity Workout Highs - Not the Endorphine High

"Me High on Endorphins"
Okay,

You'd think I would have this diabetes thing down to an exact science by now. But it would seem apparent -that I do not.

It is easy to tell others what to do with their diabetes, analyse their log book, tweaking a thing or two, but when it comes to me, damn it's hard. 

Why is that?

Or better yet; where is this post coming from?  Well, as always, I'll tell you.  I went to another Martial Arts session last night. This time, I took a wrestling/ground fighting class, and immediately after that class I took the Muay Thai kick boxing class. I know what you must be thinking; why when I almost vomited the last time? Well I just had to try it. And I didn't barf, but it seriously made managing my glucose really difficult.

Before the first hour (wrestling) class I tested my sugar and it was 8 mmol/L so I drank a diluted 10 grams carb energy drink and did the class.  One hour later I was 9 mmol/L, not to bad.  I drank another 10 gms carbs and did the second class. Post 2 hour workout another test and it was 9.5 mmol/L.  Downed a Litre of H2O and drove home. Got home tested again, and I was 13 mmol/L but seriously starving at that point so I made my self an Omelet (3 eggs) had 1/2 cup cottage cheese and a handful of blue berries. I took 1 unit to correct the glucose (1 unit for 3mmol/L  but since I had a two hour workout and it was nearing bed time I reduced my correction by 50%) I took 3 units to cover the meal, which is typical. I then read some books to the kids, had a long shower, tested again about an hour later and damn, 14 mmol/L.  Frustrating but I said to myself, it has been over a year since I've pushed myself with such a high intensity workout of that duration. So I went to bed. Couldn't sleep, as I was obsessing about the sugar level, and still a little wired from the class. Tested 2.5 hours after last bolus and still 13 mmol/L.  I am always hesitant to correct this late as I am prone to some serious lows between the hours of 2-3 am. So, I once again took half of what I would normally take or 1 unit of rapid and went to bed. This morning I woke up at 8.8 mmol/L.  Now I would prefer to wake up between 5-6 mmol/L.  Oh well, not bad really.  Now what do I do with this experience?

I am obviously thinking about it and in unison sharing it, but I'm considering a few things.....

The type of workout was very much anaerobic whereby I exerted myself intensely for a certain amount of time, say 3-5 minutes, followed by brief 30-60 second rest period. In other words not a consistent activity like cycling or running.

What effect does this have?  Well it generally causes an increase in blood glucose for me, followed by lower levels over the next 24-48 hours. Now, I usually don't go intense for over an hour.  From what I've read anything over 48 minutes and your body goes into a catobolic state or breakdown mode, tapping into fat and protein stores, and thus leading to muscle wasting, over training and injury.  To me this equals a whole lot of stress and inflammation, which I assume, leads to my increased blood glucose. If anyone out there wants to provide a juicy more accurate reason please do, I would appreciate it.

Is it increased cortisol production and gluconeogenesis causing insulin resistance, and an increase in liver out put of glucose?  Or is it simply poor balance on my part, not enough insulin?  or perhaps both?  Now I am considering hiring a biochemist or sports medicine expert to edit and add content to my blog.......and selfishly answer my burning questions.

Today, I am still "Out-of-Whack" or having hyperglycemia. Which is frustrating and confusing, however, it was the first two hour session, and based on the ramification perhaps this guy is only meant to do a one hour session, but I am stubborn and if a non-d person can do it, then so can I.

Now I am just whining. But seriously,  I think I have to try it again, take the full correction amount, and reduce my carb supplement or try a different form of carb like a piece of fruit before each session. Trial and error again and again until I figure it out. 

 I wish for a time when things can be simple, a time when I can just go do the class, and not think about diabetes, glucose levels, and the ramifications an activity may have on my health.  Oh, then again that would be called a cure.

Cheers and thanks for listening. 

Trev 

No comments: