Friday, August 5, 2011

Low, Lower and Lowest

"Last Evening"
One word to describe life at the moment.  Actually three words. But once again, diabetes, in all its power, has this sneaky way of ripping the proverbial rug from under you.

On my way to bed last night, a little later then usual, as I was into a really good book, I did the "Security check" to ensure Rowan's sugar was at a safe level for the night.

5, 4, 3, 2, 1......beep, and 2.0 mmol/L  or 36 in US terms. 

WTF !

The juice on the table beside her bed was empty, and not replenished, Shit!!!

I leaped down the stairs, retrieved a juice box, and leaped back up to her bedside. She was alert, and drank the juice, gulping it down, with her eyes closed and the sweat soaked through her PJ's.  I guided her gently back down, and just sat there. In the dark, cursing this (*&^*%^ disease. In my head of course.

I strolled down stairs super slow, feeling defeated once again. Going through the evening's events, in an attempt to account for this curve ball that was sprung on us violently out of the blue. And, nothing popped out as an obvious cause. Great I said to myself. Not even able to develop any preventative plan to avoid this attack in the future.

I think this is the most draining and difficult thing about diabetes, the unpredictable events that can't be prevented or planned for.  Those unexplained anomalies. Our only weapon is glucose monitoring, trending, proper food to insulin to activity amounts........Ya good luck with that with kids and diabetes who are bar none the most unpredictable creatures on the planet.

Mr Diabetes, this was really low of you, one the lowest for Rowan, and you remind me to never trust you and lower our guard. EVER.

Trev

5 comments:

Amy@Diapeepees said...

That's so scary when he won't even stick to the plan a little bit. Good thing all of us check our kids all the time!

Anonymous said...

It's the unexpected that's the worst, no doubt! :(

Anonymous said...

It's the unexpected that's the worst, no doubt! :(

Our Diabetic Warrior said...

I'm so glad that you caught it!

You are definitely right that we can NEVER leave our guard down.

Daisy said...

That's awful, but well done for catching the low! I remember when I was little my blood sugar levels would always be really unpredictable and I'd have lots of night-hypos because I was growing and apparently that affects it.

Thank you for this post - makes me realise how worrying it must have been and still can be for my parents. This is the first time I've come across your blog, but I really look forward to reading more in the future :)