Thursday, February 17, 2011

Freeze! - Drop the Rice Krispy Square

"Try to Picture a man, PJ's, and Rice Krispy Squares"
I was a little indecisive as to what to blog about today, since last night at 0300 hrs I was sent on two different diabetic missions. So I will discuss mission number 1 today and mission number 2 tomorrow.

Last night at 3 am I was jolted out of a dream by a sudden surge of adrenaline. My glucose was low, don't know how low, didn't care, just knew I needed to head down the stairs, and find some sugar. 

I become like a shark, or polar bear sniffing out my next kill, my senses, particularly my craving for carb containing substance, can be equated to a shark's sense for blood in water. It is something that is so powerful only a sugar-crazed-low-blood-sugar-suffering diabetic can  relate to. 

As I was inhaling  the Cool-Aid Jammer, which was the first source of glucose I stumbled upon, I thought, man, I hate this feeling.

Next was the "Treat Section" in the kitchen cupboard. My sugar level was still low. I next pounced on, and tore the wrapper off the no-name brand Rice Krispy square, down the hatch, and then I wolfed down a second. I then came to my human senses, and the shark vanished.

When I am low, my thoughts are incredibly clear, I must say, immediately afterwards I jotted down four topics to blog about. Total clarity.

As I was leaning on the kitchen counter finally doing a blood glucose check, I had a thought; and pictured a police officer yelling at me to drop the square and step away from the cupboard.  Strange thought, made me smile, and it would have likely saved my over consumption of carb in the middle of my feeding frenzy.

I immediately did the often discouraged "Chaser"dose of insulin to prevent the inevitable rebound that would occur. Lets just say I treated with far more then the recommended 15 grams of Carb. Oh well, I was after all, running on animal instinct.

After my low I checked my youngest Type 1's glucose and.......To Be Continued....Mission 2 is tomorrow.



Trev

6 comments:

Meri said...

I was just having this talk with my 13 year old. He was telling me how incredibly hard it is to stop eating when you are low. And I totally get mission number two...I often have a couple fires to put out in the middle of the night!

Shannon@ The New Normal Life said...

I have really enjoyed your blog and am going to send it to my husband as well. he is a Type 1 and our son who will be 2 at the end of the month is type 1 as well.

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear about part deux!

STOP RIGHT THERE. DROP THE SQUARE!

I'll be laughing for awhile ;) Thanks.

Unknown said...

"Step AWAY from the SUGAR!!!" Loved that Trev! Never a DULL moment for sure.

Amy said...

I really enjoy looking at 'D' thrugh your eyes, Trev. Now, I did not say I enjoy D, just looking at it .... from afar .... with a rifle pointed at it ;)

Added you to my blogroll, too.

Have a good and L-E-V-E-L weekend!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it crazy how that '15g rule' goes flying out the window in the middle of the night?