Monday, April 18, 2011

Don't Mess with My Coffee!

"A thing of beauty!"
Living with Diabetes is one of those diseases(All though I hate calling it that) that requires us to make many lifestyle tweaks in order to be successful in achieving optimal blood glucose control

Some things that I have had recommended to me over the years include:
-Test and record
-Eat this way not that
-Exercise more, but do it this way
-Take this insulin at this time
Etc....etc....

But do they have to mess with coffee?  I mean really, come on, Dr Oz says its good for you.

Most PWD likely note a subtle spike or even pronounced increase in blood glucose post Java. I know I do.


Well unfortunately there is evidence that is backing this up.  Note this article I found in my email this morning from Diabetes In Control:

Glucose levels can double when having coffee and combining with carbohydrates.
James Lane of Duke University says studies have shown the increase in blood glucose levels that occurs after adults with Type 2 diabetes eat carbohydrates is exaggerated if they also drink a caffeinated beverage such as coffee.
The inaugural issue of Journal of Caffeine Research: The International Multidisciplinary Journal of Caffeine Science reports a growing body of research suggests caffeine disrupts glucose metabolism and may contribute to the development and poor control of Type 2 diabetes.
This caffeine effect could contribute to higher glucose levels in those with diabetes and could compromise treatment aimed at controlling their blood glucose, Lane says.  The links that have been revealed between diabetes and the consumption of caffeine beverages -- especially coffee -- are of monumental importance when it is acknowledged that more than 80 percent of the world's population consumes caffeine daily.
Lane reported that several recent studies have looked at the connection between high levels of caffeine consumption and impaired metabolic function. After examining these investigations, he said that most have confirmed that caffeine can increase insulin resistance, one of the first steps toward developing Type 2 diabetes.

Furthermore, in adults who already have Type 2 diabetes, consuming caffeine can make their condition worse. Lane described one recent study, which showed that the increase in blood sugar levels that occurs following a meal rich in carbohydrates is nearly doubled when a caffeinated drink is included as part of the meal. This could make treating diabetes more difficult.

Journal of Caffeine Research Vol. 1
Please note that as I am typing this post I am enjoying the biggest cup of coffee I could find on my way to the office this morning.  I simply take more rapid.

Trev