Thursday, May 19, 2011

Let me Out of the Hamster Wheel!

It's the end of yet another day as I sit here at my computer and think; where does the time go?

Then I pictured a shrunken me staring out a cage, running on a hamster wheel. But really getting nowhere.

Strange thought I know. Just being honest. 

I just think life is ass backwards sometimes. Like, I drop my children off all day, work nine hours and see them for a fraction of my day after I am mentally exhausted. Not right, but reality.

Diabetes, has simply sped up the hamster wheel, how? Well, in many ways.  

As a parent of two Type 1's I am spending much mental energy, and physical energy testing, problem solving and worrying about their diabetes care, let alone their general well being, which makes the world seem to spin that much faster. Throw in my diabetes management, 2 full time working parents, 3 other kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a rabbit, it's a little crazy. 

Yes, I know, I made my bed and now I must lye in it(or something like that, can't remember the exact saying) I am responsible for my own choices in life, and I can live with that. With one acception, diabetes. We didn't choose this. But we must buck up and deal with it. 

I say ass backwards because, work is first, family second in our society in terms of time committment. It should be the reversed.

Hopefully the hamster wheel slows a little so I can jump off, and chill out on the hamster hammock, or take a hamster dip, hell I'd settle to just stop for more then 30 minutes, to peer out at a nice hamster view.

Funny, I always envisioned life a little less stressful as a kid.  Now I understand why my dad would come home from work, grab the newspaper, and kick his feet up and ignore us on occasion. He was flippin tired.

Well, time to go pick up the off-spring!  Until next time.

Trev 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I call it "rat on a wheel"...I feel like it from time-to-time. I don't have nearly as much on my plate as you do Trev. I hope you get a "hamster view" from your cage tonight ;)